Applicants to the SC Johnson College of Business, CALS and Human Ecology need to include a resume in their applications. Our system allows for basic formatting (bold, italic, bullet points), but doesn’t handle center or right alignment, or tabs well.
A chronological resume that is submitted as PDF would look like this but that would look crooked on the PDF generated through our system. You would need to format it this way:
John S. Hughes
(address is NOT necessary, since it is embedded in the application)
To obtain a position applying research and writing skills in publishing.
Cornell University, College of Arts and Sciences, Ithaca, NY
Bachelor of Arts in History, May 2012
Cumulative G.P.A: 3.46 Major G.P.A.: 3.65
Dean’s List for 2 years • Cornell Tradition Fellow • Marine Corps League Scholarship • John G. Lynch
Foundation Scholarship • Delaware Scholastic Press 1st Place Award for Satire • Named Outstanding
Senior Athlete by Cornell Daily Sun
Undergraduate Research Assistant Summer 2011
Associate Professor Eric Tagliacozzo, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
Searched for and evaluated items pertinent to professor’s work using microfiche, databases, Internet research, and other library resources. Proofread and corrected galleys of book, The Indonesian Reader: History, Culture, Politics.
Researcher and Writer Summer 2010
Pennsylvania Resources Council, Media, PA
Compiled comprehensive guide to recycled products for consumers and small businesses. Composed
questionnaires sent to over 500 companies nationwide for product verification; designed database for storing information. Wrote and formatted final form of guide. Edited articles for PRC newsletter. Researched legislation on environmental issues; attended and reported on EPA conferences.
Associate Editor 2010-2012
The Triple Helix, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
Proofread and edited articles. Formatted magazine, named one of top two college journals in country.
Resident Advisor August 2010-May 2012
Community Development, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
Supervised 96 students in residence hall. Served as primary resource on campus policy and information.
Counseled students having difficulty adjusting to college experience. Programmed social activities and
information sessions for overall complex of more than 500 students.
Student Intern Summer 2009
Adult Probation and Parole Services, Delaware County Courthouse, Media, PA
Supervised cases for over 50 clients by explaining rules of probation, maintaining monthly contacts, collecting court fees, and attending court proceedings. Implemented more orderly system for recording client contacts.
- Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Photoshop, and SAS statistics package.
- UNIX operating system.
- Proficiency in Russian.
- Experienced peer counselor.
- Cornell University Men’s Basketball, Captain: Provided leadership to team for two seasons.
- Cornell University Glee Club, Vice-President: Planned, coordinated, and supervised all Glee Club social activities, including events with alumni and other campus groups. Organized Club participation in campus intramural sports. Increased campus exposure of Club through informal performances and distribution of information pamphlets.
- DeWitt Middle School: Tutored sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students in reading, writing, mathematics, and history. Focused on developing good writing and analytic skills.